Marketing has always been an area that’s ever growing and changing, constantly shifting to meet needs and expectations. Recently, we’ve seen a huge (much needed) shift towards inclusivity in marketing, and the discussion has taken center stage. It’s become time for businesses to shift their marketing strategies to reflect and celebrate diversity. Inclusive marketing isn’t just about doing the “right thing” and trying to put on a good look. Inclusivity is about making everyone – from any walk of life – feel seen and valued by your brand.
Why Inclusive Marketing Matters
There are many reason why inclusive marketing needs to be an important focus in your overall marketing strategy. Some of those include…
- Diversity in Customers. Today’s consumers are more diverse than ever, being made up of a broad spectrum of backgrounds and identities. Inclusive marketing allows you as a business to connect authentically and genuinely with all in this diverse audience, fostering increased sales and brand loyalty. By creating a diverse audience for your brand, you also get a diverse and unique perspective on your brand from your customers – helping to ensure your product or service are benefiting more than just one group of people.
- It Builds Trust. Inclusive marketing is a powerful tool for building trust with your audience. When customers see that you have a genuine commitment to inclusivity, they are more likely to trust your brand and become loyal customers, as they see your desire to include more than just people who look like you. Trust is the foundation of lasting customer relationships, and building that trust through something genuine and authentic – like inclusivity – is vital when it comes to creating a solid foundation for your customer relationships.
- Increases Reach. Utilizing inclusive marketing helps to broaden your target audience and increases the amount and types of accounts you are in front of. Because your marketing is inclusive of more than just one group of people, you are reaching out to a wider group of people – you’re getting eyes from customer bases at their broadest.
How to Do It Right
Inclusivity in your marketing is incredibly important when it comes to building trust and diversity in your customer base. However, doing so isn’t as simple as just shifting your brand’s messaging for different groups of people. Here are some tips on how to do inclusive marketing right:
- Understand Your Audience. By conducting thorough research to help understand your audience’s demographics, interests, values, and preferences, you allow yourself to get to know your audience as a whole and understand how to make them feel include in your messaging. From this, you can begin to tailor your marketing and campaigns to really resonate with the diverse characteristics of your customer base.
- Begin to Use Inclusive Language. Language is a potent tool in marketing. Avoid exclusivity and offense by using gender-neutral language, steering clear of stereotypes, and being mindful of cultural nuances. Language should be a unifying force in your campaigns.
- Represent That Diversity. Showcase the diversity of your customers by using images that reflect their various races, ethnicities, genders, ages, and abilities. Authentic representation helps customers see themselves in your brand, and make your messaging more personal. This also helps potential customers to see how your service or product could serve them.
- Be Authentic. Inclusive marketing goes beyond doing it just to do it. Inclusivity is about authenticity and making all feel welcome by your brand. Ensure that your marketing campaigns align with your business’s values, mission, and voice. Authenticity always builds credibility and resonates with customers on a deeper level.
More Than a Trend
Inclusive marketing is not simply a trend to follow – it is an essential for businesses in today’s diverse world. Those who ignore inclusivity risk pushing groups of customers aside and damaging their brand’s image in the process. By understanding your audience, using inclusive language, representing diversity, and being authentic, you can create marketing that resonates with all. Embracing diversity in marketing is not just about reaching a broader audience – it’s about fostering a sense of belonging and connection in the confines of your brand.
If you’re desiring to focus on making your social media marketing strategy more inclusive, Creative Gravity is here to help! Reach out to schedule a free discovery call to learn more about how we can grow inclusivity in your social media marketing. You can also check out Creative Gravity on Instagram for more social media tips and tricks.